OriginOil’s core know-how is an array of phytoplankton (micro-algae) treatment and processing technologies. The patent portfolio held by the company spans the whole growth and transformation process: CO2 and nutrient feeding, growth control systems, biomass yield optimization, algae harvesting, and byproducts separation.
OriginOil’ technologies present the following advantages:
- Compatibility with most known micro-algae species
- Specific patented components, at each step of the process
- Fully scalable from the lab to mass production systems
- Simple and energy efficient: as an example, Single Step Extraction (the oil/biomass separation technology) uses only one tenth of the energy required by conventional technologies.
Most components used within OriginOil’s process are already used in the industry and have proven their efficiency and reliability. More specifically, Ennesys makes extensive use of three of OriginOil’s most important patented technologies:
- Efficiently feeding CO2 to the algae culture. CO2 and nutrient distribution in water must be optimized to efficiently feed each algae cell and ensure proper growth. ”Quantum Fracturing ™” ensures that all elements will be either dissolved (CO2) or micronized (solid nutrients) to be made fully available to the living organisms, without loss and with a proper control of the injected quantities.
- Capturing a large quantity of hydrogen. Hydrogen (a high-value product) is released during algae growth. Recovering hydrogen maximizes the energy produced by the system. This innovation is protected by the “Hydrogen Harvester ™” patent.
- Extracting oil by simple gravity separation. When algae are fractionated, biomass sinks to the bottom of the tank and oil rises to the surface, considerably improving the efficiency of oil production. This innovation is protected by the “Single Step Extraction™” patent:
Used in the algae growth and harvesting process, these components are the key to visible, quantifiable results and represent a substantial improvement to existing systems. This is shown in the time-lapse video above, where gravity separation of oil, water, and biomass is demonstrated, using the Single Step Extraction™ process.